Information Security Awareness Training
With information security incidents at the University of Maryland, Target Stores, Sony, and Anthem making front page headlines, security awareness training is an important part of SJSU’s Information Security Program. The resources on this page will provide you with information to help keep your computer and information secure.
According to O'Neil with The Chronicle of Higher Education 2014, “the costs of the cyberattack on the University of Maryland will run into the millions of dollars…This financial and reputational wallop threatens many colleges that are vulnerable to serious data breaches.”
Did you know?
- SJSU Received more than 100,000 attempts to “phish” for SJSUOne usernames and passwords in the last year.
- SJSU reported one dozen FERPA violations during 2014.
- All SJSU Level 1 data breaches occurring since 2013 could have been prevented had employees taken some simple precautions.
- "Computer security is not just about technology and systems. It is also about the people that use those systems and how their vulnerable behaviors can lead to exploitation." Proper training can reduce the number of people who might cause an incident.
Skillport Online Training
SJSU’s Training Application, Skillport, provides a brief online introduction to computer security and FERPA issues. These tutorials take approximately 30 minutes to complete and provides some essential information about computer security and campus policy. To access your training:
- Visit the SJSU Skillport Portal.
- Login using your SJSUOne account.
- At your Skillport home page, select “View My Plan”.
- Locate the training course you with to take and click “Launch” to begin.
Per ICSUAM8035 “Data Security & Privacy” and “FERPA & Protecting Education” are required courses for SJSU Faculty and Staff. Other courses are available in Skillport as well which provide more detailed information on specific areas such as HIPAA (Health) and PCI (Credit Card) data usage.
To inquire about requesting a special in-person computer security awareness training for your department, unit or group, please contact email@example.com.
Phishing and Spam
Information Technology has published several Spartan Google Tips surrounding phishing and spam. Visit:
Dell has published a fun, informative quiz to test how well you distinguish between email schemes and legitimate email.
For information, tools and tips on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), visit the SJSU Registrar’s FERPA Page.