Google Analytics FAQ
- How is Web traffic tracked?
- What is a "view"?
- What is a "hit"?
- What is a "session"?
- What is a "page view"?
- What is a "referral"?
- What is "bounce rate"?
- How do I change the date range?
- How do I get data for one site in a profile or one part of a site?
- How do I find out how many visitors to my page are on or off campus?
- How do I find out how many visitors are new or returning?
- How can I find out how many times a document has been downloaded?
- How can I add or remove users?
- How do I request technical assistance?
- How can I find more resources?
- Go to http://www.google.com/analytics/
- Click the Access Analytics button
- Enter your firstname.lastname@example.org email address
- Click the "Sign in" button
- You will see a new page where you can enter your SJSU ID and SJSUOne password
Q: What is a "view"?
A: A view (previously called a "profile") is a group of related web pages. User accounts have access to one or more views. Google allows only a limited number of views, so we sometimes group several sites into one view, such as all of the sites in a College.
Q: What is a "pageview"?
A: A pageview is a request for a viewable HTML file. Embedded graphics, stylesheets, scripts, etc. are included in the page view. Page views are the most reliable metric for determining how many times your pages are viewed.
A unique pageview aggregates pageviews that are generated by the same user during the same session. If a user views the same page multiple times during a session, that will generate multiple pageviews, but only one unique pageview.
Q: What is a "referral"?
A: A referral indicates the Web page that contained the link that a user followed to get to the page being tracked (the site the user "came from"). The referring page is often a search engine, such as Google or Yahoo. If a user types a URL directly into the browser's address bar, or uses a bookmark to get to a page, then there is no referrer.
- Click on the date range above the graph
- Select the start and end dates
- Click the Apply button
- Click the Standard Reporting tab
- Select Behavior -> Site Content -> Content Drilldown
- Select the site or part of a site you want to get the data for
- Edit the page with the download link
- Select the link
- Click the Insert/Edit link button
- Select the Events tab
- in the onclick box, add the following:
ga('send', 'event', 'download', 'click', $(this).attr('href'));
- Click Update
- Save and publish the page
This will start the tracking process. All clicks on the link will be registered as download events.
In Google Analytics, look in Behavior -> Events
Q: How can I add or remove users?
A: To request a Google Analytics account for a new user or to remove a user's access, please use the Google Analytics Application.
Q: How do I request technical assistance?
A: Open an iSupport ticket with detailed information. .
- Visit Google Analytics Help