Student Email Usage Guidelines
Information Support Services
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0042
- It is the student's responsibility to read and heed email sent to the SJSU-issued account in the same way as paper communications.
- Students are responsible to check their email accounts regularly for official notifications from SJSU.
- Official SJSU notifications will be sent to Student Email addresses.
- Official email addresses shall not be used for commercial solicitations.
- Official email addresses shall not be used for notification of disciplinary hearings or any legal actions involving the court system.
- It is the responsibility of students to ensure their official email addresses are functional and able to receive email. Mailbox full, user unknown or Spam blockers are not acceptable reasons for missing university messages.
- All use of email will be consistent with local, state and federal law, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). All use of email, including use for sensitive or confidential information, will be consistent with FERPA.
- The username and password are the responsibility of the individual to whom they are assigned and should never be shared with anyone. The user will be held responsible for unauthorized use of the username and password by other individuals and for any and all actions of those individuals.
- Users are prohibited from allowing other individuals to send email from their account and may not use another individual's account to send email communications for their own purposes.
- Users are prohibited from using the system for any unethical purposes, including but not limited to plagiarism, pornography, violence, gambling, racism, harassment or any illegal activity.
- Students are prohibited from using the system for profit-making activities and/or for business use other than university business.
- Email services are extended for the sole use of university faculty, staff, students and other appropriately authorized users to accomplish tasks related to and consistent with the university's mission. Any email address or account assigned by the university to individuals, sub-units or functions of the university, is the property of the university.
- If you, the student email system user, are asked by another user or SJSU employee to stop emailing them, you must comply.
- Email users shall not give the impression that they are representing, giving opinions
or otherwise making statements of behalf of the university or any unit of the university
unless expressly authorized to do so. Where appropriate, the following explicit disclaimer
shall be included:
"The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the San José State University."
- University email services shall not be used for purposes that could reasonably be
expected to cause, directly or indirectly, strain on any computing facilities or interference
with others' use of email or email systems. Such uses include, but are not limited
to, the use of email services to:
- Send or forward chain letters
- Spam—to exploit listservs or similar systems for the widespread distribution of unsolicited mail
- Letter-bomb—to resend the same e-mail repeatedly to one or more recipients