IT Services Vision & Direction
IT Services is a cohesive group of IT professionals working collaboratively as a trusted and respected partner with the campus community to advance the university’s mission. We support the university by providing an optimal IT user experience that is reliable, intuitive, comprehensive and seamless across the needs of students, faculty and staff with services which are self-actuated and available 7x24x365.
Our objectives are customer-centered and service-oriented. We provide technology services to maximize user collaboration, technology and mobility, and integration while securing and protecting university information resources.
Our focus is the university’s needs, and its vision stated in the SJSU Strategic Plan: Vision 2017 and the draft SJSU Academic Plan 2017. We seek to become and be known as innovation leaders in using technology to enhance learning and the educational process, in support of student success. We share values with the university and Administration & Finance.
For a print version, see IT Services Vision and Direction [PDF].
These themes provide the framework for our decision making and actions when working with products and services:
Technology & Services Direction and Success Criteria
Applications, Information Systems, Web and Mobile Web Access:
- Delivery of effective, efficient and reliable core business application systems is provided to the university community. Internal and external interfaces are developed and supported.
- Ability for servers located in decentralized data centers to be consolidated to a virtual server environment.
- Applications/systems are proactively monitored and managed for performance and capacity, effective and efficient use of resources, and metrics are provided to system administrators.
- System status is proactively provided indicating system availability, and outage notices are sent to a known location and users are notified when opted-in.
- Static Web pages for campus departments use designated Web templates that are adapted to customer device display capabilities.
- Web applications are authenticated using a single centralized secure logon system.
- Web page templates are published and guidance is provided to campus Web content managers to publish mobile-friendly content in a mobile website.
- A Web platform is provided for college and administrative departments to promote the SJSU brand, provide non-static and static information, and custom department information using supported technology.
Classroom & Video Technology
- Web-based, video-enabled conference capabilities are available to all students, faculty and staff to collaborate with others, in any location with Internet access, at any time, from any suitable device. Conferencing provides a virtual whiteboard area for customers to annotate meetings, ‘side-bar’ chat function, and ability to share applications. Conference sessions can be recorded and stored via secure cloud services with WebEx.
- Lecture capture capability is available in all classrooms and conference spaces on campus, with recordings available to students via the Web shortly after class, with transcription (i.e., closed caption) available the following day. Recordings are stored in a cloud-based service.
- Using technology in the classroom to teach or facilitate learning is more of a background event; it is not the event.
- Video technology enriches the educational process, teamwork and the IT development process and provides opportunities that are not available with other mediums. It transcends the geographical and cultural boundaries to provide greater learning and teamwork experiences.
- A single, integrated, unified communication system efficiently manages voice and call center service.
- Instant messaging, chat service is available among campus faculty and staff using standards based protocols.
- Campus telephony is available to work with mobile devices.
- SJSU content is able to be delivered to digital signs with remote edit access.
Customer Support Services
- Phone and email technology help support is available, easily accessible, timely and effective.
- Training classes are provided for phone, email, calendar, video conferencing applications and links to other training classes are provided. Recorded classes are available for replay.
- Self-service documentation is available for core user applications supported by ITS. Links to resources and documentation provided by other areas on campus are provided.
- Software is distributed via the Web when possible and is easy to find.
Labs, Desktops & Mobile Devices
- Software is available via virtual shared library, replacing the need to maintain applications on lab computers as much as possible.
- A virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) is extended to laptop and desktop computers used on campus.
- Desktop patching is automated.
- Network connectivity support is provided for personal and mobile devices.
- Appropriate Web sites and applications are accessible via mobile devices.
- Pervasive, robust and secure access over an IP-based network is provided. Students, faculty and staff are able to consistently connect to the wireless network. Network access is available throughout the campus.
- Consistent customer experience is provided via an identity-based network access control, regardless of the device used or connection location.
- Authentication is secure.
- Controls provide effective security and are managed efficiently to align with campus and CSU security policies.
- The identity management system provides effective identity controls, maintains currency, and allows authentication and authorization to information systems and services.
- Services are provided for timely security alerts and campus announcements.
Professional Development Philosophy
- Assessment and planning of skill enhancement are a key part of ITS managers and staff responsibilities.
- Professional development is delivered effectively in a timely manner.
Note: To view documents in Adobe PDF format, download PDF viewer.